Monday, May 13, 2019

Better off Wickless Warmer of the Week: 5/13/2019


Hi everyone, time to spotlight another Scentsy Warmer and really dive into what’s special about it.  This week I’m highlighting the “Sweetgrass Basket Warmer”!

 
 

 


Per Scentsy, “The Sweetgrass Basket is one of the most coveted treasures in South Carolina’s famed Lowcountry, and we wanted to do it justice. So, to make our version as authentic as possible, our designer visited a street market, picked his favorite basket and together with our craftsman, got to work. First, the basket was taken apart, and then the individual layers were applied to the mold to create the shape. Finally, they cast the basket’s woven texture to complete the authentic Lowcountry look.”



I have to say I was not a big fan of this warmer when I first saw it.  It’s a basket.  A basket.  Just not my thing really.  It’s not ugly, but it just didn’t jump out at me either.  Plus I honestly had no clue what a “sweetgrass basket” was…. What’s so special about it and why would we choose to make a warmer resembling one? 


So… I researched and found a very cool little video that tells a little bit about the origin of the Sweetgrass basket and a little bit about the tradition of making them.


Now that I know a little bit about the history of the Gullah or ‘sweetgrass’ baskets, this warmer has a whole new place in my heart.  I now see the beauty in it…. In the craftsmanship it took to make this basket be true to it’s history, the importance it has in the rich history & culture of Charleston and how special it would be to have this little piece in your home. 

If you are in love with the “Sweetgrass Basket Warmer” or know someone who needs it in their life you can pick yours up here:








 

No comments:

Post a Comment